Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Valentine Shmalentine

Ted & I had a nice date and I love, love, love spending time with him - always. He is and always will be my sweetheart.

But then we came home and I had to help the kids get their valentines ready, and I'm not feeling so lovey now. I say phooey with all of this love stuff. I'd like to take a new route with Valentine's Day and share 10 things I hate about my kids. Yes, you read correctly.

1. I hate that my 8-year-old will NOT under any circumstances hold my hand, hug, or even acknowledge that he is my child unless he is forced to do so under threat of grounding.

2. I hate that my daughter can wear my shoes and accessories. Wasn't she just wearing dress ups and costume jewelry?

3. I hate that we are coordinating weekend activities instead of just knowing everybody would be home with us.

4. I hate that when they think of which girls to send valentines to, dear old mom is not the first person they think of.

5. I hate that instead of hearing, "Mom, can you help me...." I hear "Mom, can I please have some privacy?" Wasn't I just bathing them?

6. I hate that when I'm dropping off the kids at school they don't want me to hold their hand and walk them in. As a matter of fact, they barely want me to slow down the car and they DO want me out of there as quickly as possible.

7. I hate that they won't yell "love you, mom" from the bus stop to our house like they used to. Now it seems they don't want to whisper it from the doorstep to the front door.

8. I hate that I have to compete with electronic devices for their attention.

9. I hate that they don't want to snuggle with me in my arms but would rather be out playing.

10. I hate that they would rather read their own books than have me read to them.

In short - I hate that they are growing up. Try as I might to stop this, it is still happening. I hate it straight across the board from my 13-year-old to my 4-year-old - they are all defying me and growing more independent and strong. Some might say this is a good thing, but on Valentine's Day it made my heart ache to realize how quickly time is flying by, and how quickly they are growing up.

My heart just wants to burst open wide when I think about my kids. I love them so much. I could wallpaper my house with pictures of them. As much as I love a trip or date with my sweetheart, my heart is just happiest at home when we are all together - and they are growing up way too quickly. Time is moving by at warp speed, and I don't like it one little bit.

So, for now, I say phooey with all of this love stuff. My heart just can't take it.

3 comments:

Jessie said...

The other day Noah wouldn't hold my hand when I met his class for a field trip. It was the first time that happened! I'm pretending like it didn't. and I'm going to ignore this post you wrote too! I can't take it.

Rebecca Crandall said...

Amen. It seems unfair but I can't stand that they grow up, either.

Rebecca said...

That was me, not Glen.